Wednesday 2 June 2010

Red Footed Falcon

I haven't really gone searching for anything
special over the last few week's mainly staying
close to home and concentrating on a few local
birds. I've been trying my hardest to try and
get a few shot's of Whitethroat and to say the
least it's been tricky, anyway I'll let you know
how I get on shortly.

I started scouring through birdguides on
Saturday evening looking to see if there's
anything I can have a go at on Sunday,
when I see two Red Footed Falcons reported at
Wilstone Reservoir in Aylsebury.

For those who don't know I have a love for
raptor's and with 2 Red Footed Falcon's
reported (not too far away) I could hardly
resist a trip. I set off at 04.30am making
certain I was there nice and early, and
didn't want to turn up and it's buggered
off.

I arrived to find two birders already scanning
the reserve and a quick chat soon had me
heading in the right direction, although
they had said that only 1 was remaining
the 1(s) male. Good enough for me!
A short walk and I was soon on it. Here's a
few record shot's!...Best I could manage.
Always at distance, mainly sitting in the
tree below for long period's.
I did manage one flight shot as it passed
overhead, again poor light.


Hawking over the reserve!...Lower on the
water than I thought.

The light was terrible really. I tried my hand at a
few shot's of the common Terns, again best I
could manage. I could hardly believe the amount
on the reserve at least 40.


I decided while I was in the area that I'd pay
a visit too Farmoor, apparently what they get
there are quite approachable.

I think I must have picked a bad day, I walked
around both Reservoir's with very little success,
apart from the normal stuff.

I will say for those of you thinking of giving Farmoor
a go it's a fair way around both Reservoirs. My leg's
certainly knew they'd been around there come
Monday morning.
Here's a few shot's of what I did manage.




No comments:

Post a Comment